Thursday, February 9, 2012

Filmmaking

As I was reviewing the readings and planning for my video project, I have a big admiration for film producers and even commercial producers. It does take a lot of thought, time, creativity to produce an hour and a half movie or even a 30 second commercial. 
As I am working on my project, I came up with this question: Does my video need to be informational and teach something or it can be just about anything but produced and presented in a compelling way? I think the purpose of this module is to give us tools and teach us how to produce a compelling piece of artwork. If we learn how to do that, then as educators we will be able to use these tools in our workplace, classroom to teach students the material in a compelling way. 
I found it interesting when reading "Filmmaking and Research: An Intersection" by Paul Goodman, how camera really could be used for anything. Paul Goodman was discussing the role of camera in research for example, to use camera in organizational research. Today, I took my camera to work and I filmed my coworker (whose office is next to mine) and myself for a few minutes just working and also our student/intern area. When I looked at my recordings, I noticed that out office is very busy in the afternoon and not so much in the morning. There was much more traffic in the afternoon than morning. I hope to put that video on my blog later this week.
I also think that sometimes you can tell so much more with camera than with words. I took a video of students/faculty/staff/visitors on MSU campus just walking/jogging/biking and it was so interesting just to observe everyone rushing through the lunch our to their destinations.
As I am designing a website for children of Lithuanian immigrant families I will find the use of camera very useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment