Sunday, February 5, 2012

Compelling videos


I think one of the main purposes in film making is to tell a story and bring out involvement and feelings from the audience. If a film maker is able to make a movie where audience can relate to it, that makes it compelling. This reminds me a lot of times when I turn on TV and try to switch through different TV channels. It takes me 15-20 seconds to determine whether the program on that particular channel is going to be interesting or not. Therefore, if documentary or movie maker did not create a compelling scene that I happened to watch at that moment, I will be switching to another channel.

What I learned from this lesson, that it takes so many components to make a compelling video or compelling movie. You have to think of an idea, you audience, how my audience will associate and what feelings will have towards the movie, and what music will I use in the background.
I think it is very important to learn to use compelling videos in the classroom. Compelling videos would leave meaningful and memorable experiences to students that nurtures more creativity and deeper thinking.
I am not a teacher so I do not have examples of using compelling videos in education. However, I work with international students and our office is thinking how to create compelling videos for new incoming international students, videos that would help them to get around Michigan State University and would help adjust to American lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment