Sunday, April 1, 2012

Music - Week 2

As I am working today on this week's project, I really worry about not evaluating the music piece perfectly. I am not a music person and I do not listen to music much. This module gave me different perspectives at looking at a music piece. Some of the important points from this week's reading that were of interest to me were: according to Aaron Copland, the meaning of music, if there is any meaning, must be sought in the music itself, music is a language without a dictionary whose symbols are interpreted by the listener.  I agree with Copland that whatever the music may be, we experience basic reactions such as tension and release, density and transparency, a smooth and angry surface, the music swellings and subsidings, its pushing forward and hanging back, its length, its speed, its thunders and whisperings. As I am looking at the music piece, I will try my best to analyze its flow, tempo, rhythm, and dynamics. I will try my best to analyze the music piece and recognize the feelings it gives to a listener.
I was also reading through my classmates blogs this week and I thought it was interesting how some of them compared teachers to composers. I agree with them. Teachers create lesson plans as composers create music pieces. As composers try to create compelling music, teachers try to create compelling lesson plans. I was thinking what the "hook" piece would be in a lesson plan. It's something that would catch student's interest and keep student's interest throughout the lesson. I would have never compared music creation to lesson creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment